The History of The Blacksmith's Arms
The Blacksmiths Arms in Broughton Mills dates back to 1577 and was originally a farmhouse called Broadstones. In 1748 archive records list the property as being an Inn, working farm of 34 acres and blacksmiths. Before this it would have been a "beer house" with the farmer serving ale in the kitchen for travellers and local workers.
The internal structure of the Blacksmiths arms remains unchanged with oak panelled corridor, original farmhouse range, large slate floors from local quarries, and oak beamed ceilings. The pub features in many guides including the AA pub guide, The Good Pub Guide and The Good Beer Guide. It remains the only pub in the Lake District listed in the National Inventory of historic pubs.
The Blacksmiths Arms
site design by bf internet